3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   Beyond Reality (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=490)
-   -   Test footage from my Trek animation (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22728)

gmd3d October 17th, 2008 02:10 PM

Re: Test footage from my Trek animation

having a look see now

gmd3d October 17th, 2008 02:18 PM

This I like a lot ..

Fretslayer October 17th, 2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 256127)
This I like a lot ..

Cool deal.
The volumetric clouds are fun to work with.

I hope you looked at the large file. The details are so much better.
I added the wmv file again in case EG wanted to see it.

gmd3d October 17th, 2008 02:29 PM

I looked at the large one ..

I have loaded Poser into my PC and playing with it .. i am lost . but i was able to export a character to LW . just need to work oy how the controls work

Fretslayer October 17th, 2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 256130)
I looked at the large one ..

I have loaded Poser into my PC and playing with it .. i am lost . but i was able to export a character to LW . just need to work oy how the controls work

Does the character rigging export with the obj file?
If you can import a Poser figure into LWO with the rigging intact that's way cool!

I have MIMIC for LWO but I can't seem to figure out how to make it work.
MIMIC is lip synch software.
I use it with Carrara to make my 'people' talk, blink and emote.

Darrell Lawrence October 17th, 2008 03:05 PM

http://www.3dgladiators.net/warrior/uss_bonaventure.avi

It's a few years old, but your nebula reminded me of this :D

gmd3d October 17th, 2008 03:06 PM

No .. not that I have seen .. But I am thinking of posing them in poser and export to LW .. and am looking for overall textures for ground crews or techs ... I am going to make the laser blaser from Buck Rogers . and I try to make the uniforms in poser for poser .. onve I work that out..

Fretslayer October 17th, 2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 256135)
No .. not that I have seen .. But I am thing of posing them in poser and export to LW .. and am looking for overall textures for ground crews or techs ... I am going to make the laser blaser from Buck Rogers . and I try to make the uniforms in poser for poser .. onve I work that out..

Ok, then you'll get something very similar to what I sent you.
You might want to make sure that when you export them that you export them as one item so that you don't have to deal with X# of body parts Y#textures.

You know - there is a basic Face Shop type of app built into Poser.
You might try your hand at making your own Buck face with it.

Back when I was working in Bryce I used to do exactly what you're going to to be doing with it. I'm still looking for my old Bryce animation but when I find it I'll share it.

I'm curious what everyone else's first stuff looked like.
For having zero experience of knowledge in CG stuff my first animation came out surprisingly good. LOL!

Thanks Warrior for that footage. Pretty cool stuff.
Something I'm trying to do with my nebula is make it look/feel like it's more than just an image far, far away in the background - but instead make it something that feels right up here in 'our space' with us. I think I got that with the 'coming at us - going away from us' shots.

Oh, Taranis - if you look over at Vanishpoint.com you might find some Buck Rogers stuff that might be helpful. I think they may even have a pistol over there.

gmd3d October 17th, 2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 256134)
http://www.3dgladiators.net/warrior/uss_bonaventure.avi

It's a few years old, but your nebula reminded me of this :D

Mega .. it great seen these cool animations .. and great TAS model

gmd3d October 17th, 2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 256138)
Ok, then you'll get something very similar to what I sent you.
You might want to make sure that when you export them that you export them as one item so that you don't have to deal with X# of body parts Y#textures.

You know - there is a basic Face Shop type of app built into Poser.
You might try your hand at making your own Buck face with it.

Back when I was working in Bryce I used to do exactly what you're going to to be doing with it. I'm still looking for my old Bryce animation but when I find it I'll share it.

I'm curious what everyone else's first stuff looked like.
For having zero experience of knowledge in CG stuff my first animation came out surprisingly good. LOL!

Thanks Warrior for that footage. Pretty cool stuff.
Something I'm trying to do with my nebula is make it look/feel like it's more than just an image far, far away in the background - but instead make it something that feels right up here in 'our space' with us. I think I got that with the 'coming at us - going away from us' shots.

Oh, Taranis - if you look over at Vanishpoint.com you might find some Buck Rogers stuff that might be helpful. I think they may even have a pistol over there.

Do you have the full web address I am getting nothing on the Vanishpoint.com

Fretslayer October 17th, 2008 03:34 PM

Here's the link to Vanishing Point's Buck Rogers 'Freebie' page.

http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freest...ificationID=27

There is a lot of good stuff on their site.
:)

gmd3d October 17th, 2008 03:35 PM

Cool thanks mate ..

I calling it a night ...

Night :)

Darrell Lawrence October 17th, 2008 04:18 PM

All I said was yours reminded me of mine, not that mine was any good ;)

General Phoenix October 17th, 2008 04:37 PM

I just watched the new vids, and I'm very impressed. Excellent work, Fret.

My only suggestion, and it's a very minor thing, would be to tone down or even remove the lens flare effect on the ship's running lights. It works very well with stars, but seems a bit excessive when used on running lights.

Everything else was great!

Fretslayer October 17th, 2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 256146)
All I said was yours reminded me of mine, not that mine was any good ;)

I think you misunderstood me.
I wasn't downing yours in any way.

I'm just trying to connect the foreground to the background thru the use of the volumetric clouds.

Your stuff is light years ahead of mine.
Look at it this way... one of us has downloaded the other one's meshes.
Yah, see?
LOL!

Sorry if my comment came across wrong.

@General Phoenix - Yah, that bottom lense flare was way off and in the distance shot I forgot to set the light to blink on and off. Setting the lights and effects in Carrara is very different than in LWO and MAX though. I had thought about not editing in the shots with the belly light but I figured that as harsh and ugly as the bridge lights were, what harm could the lense flares have? LOL!

I'm trying to find a happy medium with the running lights so they can be seen from a distance but not so much that they're a distraction. I spend a lot of time in the real world looking up at night and watching all of the air traffic overhead. I live by two International airports and so I have a lot of air traffic to watch.

One of the things I like about the lights though is that they are not all blinking at the same time.

I really do appreciate all of the feedback you guys are giving me.
I've said it several times but I have no training in any of the apps I use and I just run by intuition. Anything that can help make the shots better is cool by me. That's also a reason why I'm showing y'all my test footage. When the real version and scenes are rendered the mistakes and other 'sharp edges' will have been addressed.

Most of what I've been working on today has been bridge lighting and computer screens. I'm rebuilding all of the computer graphics in Photoshop CS2 and importing them into my video editing software where I then turn them into animated files so the computers look more dynmaic instead of static.

:cool:

haruchai October 20th, 2008 01:22 PM

Great clips. Really liking the volumetric clouds and the colour making it seem 'elsewhere'.

Nicely done and look forward to seeing more.

Raymar3d November 3rd, 2008 12:53 PM

That's a really nice piece of work. When I first viewed the animation, I thought of Afterburn in 3ds Max. To read that you got it to work in Carrera is very impressive to me. I own both programs, but I got sort of discouraged on Carrera early on, when I tried loading some of the content for it from DAZ, and it just kept crashing on me (the country road and some other natural environments).

I am going to take another look at it now. :)

I too agree, it's not the tool, it's the artist. Good tools can make it easier for a good artist, but a good artist can usually make something incredible with any tool at their disposal. :)

I hope to see this film!

Ken

P.S. Character Studio in 3ds Max takes some time to get the hang of, but once you do, you can do a TON of good stuff with it. I have used it for years. Any time you want to trade tips and tricks, I'm always up for it!

Darrell Lawrence November 3rd, 2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymar3d (Post 257401)
P.S. Character Studio in 3ds Max takes some time to get the hang of, but once you do, you can do a TON of good stuff with it. I have used it for years. Any time you want to trade tips and tricks, I'm always up for it!

My last post here:

http://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=22780

Raymar3d November 3rd, 2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior (Post 257402)

Thanks for the link! I knew there had to be one here already. :)

I'm catching up, but it takes awhile. I spent a few years off writing instead of doing 3d, so getting back into the game takes awhile, but I'm glad to be back!

Ken

gmd3d November 3rd, 2008 01:41 PM

Great to see you back at the cgi