View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Fretslayer

Default Re: Test footage from my Trek animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
Well, some people are A-holes. It's all about the software that you like to use. I know a lot of people don't take trueSpace very seriously either, because it's not Lightwave or Max. But not everybody can go out and spend over $1000 on a computer, much less on a computer program. I've seen some great work done in Daz, Bryce and Carrera, no matter what anyone says.
Dude, you are spot on.

I own Max v8 and v9.
I own Lightwave v8. and v.9.

I was pretty good animating with both of them but at the same time it was really difficult for me to do some things. Mostly it was character related and rigging meshes to walk and move. I never got past that part with either program because no matter how many hours I spent working at it, I just couldn't get it. It was like beating my head against a wall. Insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different outcome. I got so disappointed in myself that I just stopped animating and figured I was too stupid to ever do it well. I could do mechanical things but organic was beyond me and you can't tell a story without 'people' in it.

When I found DAZ Studio I found a program that worked with me - not against me. I was floored that it was free and I used it for probably 5-6 months before I had the extra cash to spend on it's big brother - Carrara.

From the first time I loaded up Carrara Pro 6 I was animating like a pro.

I have nothing but good things to say about MAX and LWO but...
...Carrara... That program is how and why I'm finally going to be able to get my stories out there. I started animating in 2,000 with Bryce 3D when it was still a MetaCreations progam and hit a wall with it because it couldn't animate people. No matter what program I used it always came back to the people meshes - no people, no story. What would Star Wars be without the humans? Not much.

When I got DAZ and Carrara I was able to animate people easily and that allowed me to stop thinking about it and start thinking about the story and how I wanted to shoot/direct the scene.

I know exactly how you feel about using TS because I'm the same with Carrara. I've lurked on some fourms where if you mention that you use anything other than MAX or LWO they taunt you. Well... Once my Trek animation is done, they won't be taunting me. They can try but it won't stick. LOL!