Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old December 24th, 2002, 08:34 AM   #31
cardinalbiggles

Wow... makes it seem kinda small when you look at it from above. :/:

How accurate is your general layout compared to how they've set up the corridors in the movies and on TNG and VOY? (not that I doubt your accuracy or anything)
Old December 24th, 2002, 08:39 AM   #32
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

No idea, since I don't have access to any set plans from TNG or Voyager showing corridor sets. Since this is for a completely new ship, I didn't really have to worry about that.
seanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2002, 10:50 AM   #33
Sho

:thumbsup:
Old December 24th, 2002, 10:55 AM   #34
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Thanks, now aren't you going to get on ICQ?
Old December 24th, 2002, 01:34 PM   #35
Commodore-SirJohn
Larger than the
average starship
captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sho

Oh, I don't mind.
Great! Thanks, guys! (Though, as I noted above, my finances won't let me commission it right now. )
Old December 27th, 2002, 01:10 AM   #36
BRUTUS

How about adding a turbolift to this set? I think it'd be cool if someone commissioned a series-worth of sets from you and you could arrange them all as they'd be if they were built on soundstages.
Old December 27th, 2002, 01:37 AM   #37
Sho

Oh, I already requested a turbolift cabin. Sean's working on it, I think.
Old December 27th, 2002, 05:33 PM   #38
Proximo

I suppsoe that's the great thing about computer generated sets. You can clone them...
Old December 27th, 2002, 05:54 PM   #39
EBOLII

Sweet as always....But....Um

those Handrails?? NOT very ergo-nomical (is that the right word?) are they? I would not think so

Its not a natural feel.......Hey can you turn off the lights?....as in the top lights?.....Kinda like powered down or nite time or whatever...very tired. My mind is mush

Last edited by EBOLII; December 27th, 2002 at 05:57 PM..
Old December 27th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #40
Nova Class

Eeeeeeeeexcellent! Your brushed metal panels are both brushed and metallic!
Old December 27th, 2002, 10:07 PM   #41
BRUTUS

Quote:
Originally posted by EBOLII those Handrails?? NOT very ergo-nomical (is that the right word?) are they? I would not think so
Its not a natural feel.
Do you mean their shape?

Sean, I think if you moved the handrails down so that they are at the midpoint on the panel that they are mounted on...it would look 5% better!
Old December 28th, 2002, 03:06 PM   #42
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Here's a pile of updates for you:

1600x1200

1600x1200

Old December 29th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #43
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

What, no comments? Come on, you guys can do better than that!

Further refinements to the turbolift:

It should fit a little more nicely with the corridor design now. I'm going to drop it into the scene later and render it all together. I'll also be doing the cargobay/holodeck doors tomorrow as well. What I'm actually going to do is connect those two corridor ends in the lower right corner of the map, with the doors being placed in the angled segment where they will meet. The doors themselves should be something halfway between the Ent-D's doors and Voyager's (in a sort of dark burnt red color, I'm thinking).
Old December 29th, 2002, 08:01 PM   #44
Sho

The turbolift looks much better now, I really like it!
Old December 29th, 2002, 08:44 PM   #45
EBOLII

Railings..............
Old December 30th, 2002, 07:22 AM   #46
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

huh?

Update:

2400x1800

2400x1800

2400x1800
Old December 30th, 2002, 09:42 AM   #47
cardinalbiggles

:yikes:
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!

Wow... I can't put my finger on why, but that looks even better than it did last week. I love the turbolift, BTW!
Old December 30th, 2002, 06:24 PM   #48
Mark Nguyen

Indeed, very very cool.

I assume these corridor segments can easily be tilted to an angle, right? 'Cuz it'd be cool if we could one day see ramped corridors leading to different decks a la Andromeda, so as to show that people can get from one deck to another without using the turbolifts.

Mark
Old December 30th, 2002, 07:19 PM   #49
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Mark, that would be phyiscally possible, but I must confess that I _really_ do not like that idea at all. Aside from there being no precent for in in all of Starfleet history, it looks wierd as hell. Not to mention the fact that it would be a bit of a pain to do (not impossible, but it is one more angle to worry about on top of everything else).
Old December 30th, 2002, 10:47 PM   #50
Mark Nguyen

I'm hardly asking for you to do so.

But as a matter of record, there ARE Trek ramps in existance on starships. Blueprints of the E-D show that there are irregularly-shaped ramps down from Deck one, and there has been serious suggestion of a similar construct on Voyager.

Of course, this brings up the notion of stairwells/gangways - and of course, ladders! Remember that wierd ladder thing in the TOS corridor set? What would a TNG-era equivalent look like?

Mark <--- still not asking
Old December 31st, 2002, 06:50 AM   #51
cardinalbiggles

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen
But as a matter of record, there ARE Trek ramps in existance on starships. Blueprints of the E-D show that there are irregularly-shaped ramps down from Deck one...
That's mostly because of a practical necessity: the door leading to the observation lounge in the rear of the bridge was elevated somewhere between 18 and 24 inches off the stage floor. On the other hand, it wouldn't be practical -- both from a bulky camera equipment standpoint and from the fact that during the first season the observation lounge was frequently redressed as Sickbay -- for the observation lounge to also be 18-24" off the floor. Hence the ramp; it would have been really silly to have to take a turbolift down half a deck. A different solution was devised in First Contact when they put the lounge directly behind the bridge, and you simply had two or three steps leading into the room.

Quote:
...and there has been serious suggestion of a similar construct on Voyager.
It led down to Deck 2, and actually made sense, given that we never get any sort of suggestion of an "emergency hatch" down to the next deck the way Shane Johnson had it in Mr. Scott's Guide.

Quote:
Of course, this brings up the notion of stairwells/gangways - and of course, ladders! Remember that wierd ladder thing in the TOS corridor set? What would a TNG-era equivalent look like?
I'm having trouble remembering it... I don't know that the TNG-era would have needed it, because they always had that nice network of Jeffries tubes to show. Presumably there would be something like in First Contact where you can open a hatch in the floor and jump down to the next level as well...
Old December 31st, 2002, 06:53 AM   #52
Commodore-SirJohn
Larger than the
average starship
captain

Quote:

We have seen many of these. They're called Jeffries tubes. (specifically, the vertical sections thereof) The hatch in the bridge's aft deck was a Jeffries tube access hatch.
Old December 31st, 2002, 06:55 AM   #53
Sho

Well, we do have a hatch in our bridge's floor.
Old December 31st, 2002, 07:58 AM   #54
Mark Nguyen

What I mean is that the E-D DOES have corridors leading down to Deck 2, according to the blueprints. However, given their shape I'd say that they're the featureless beige variety we see through the doors.

As for a ladder, it makes sense that we'd never see 'em on hotel-esque starships like the E-D, but what of more utilitarian vessels? Would such ships have more eopen access between decks allowing more than one person to go up & down as necessary? Not to mention world-destroying probes like Nomad?

Mark
Old December 31st, 2002, 08:05 AM   #55
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Ladders exist throughout the Enterprise D - in all of the jeffries tubes. They have been seen on the show multiple times, including the episode when Picard finally got a girl and played his ressican flut with her in one of the main junctions.
Old December 31st, 2002, 08:12 AM   #56
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

Update:

Old December 31st, 2002, 08:24 AM   #57
Sho

THAT is the lighting I was looking for! GREAT! Woohooo!
Old December 31st, 2002, 09:01 AM   #58
BRUTUS

Quote:
f course, this brings up the notion of stairwells/gangways - and of course, ladders! Remember that wierd ladder thing in the TOS corridor set? What would a TNG-era equivalent look like?
Like a Jeffries tube.

By the way, I've always wanted to see someone flesh out these conjectural parts of the Enterprise-D. Looking deep inside the main shuttlebay...those ramps you mentioned. Other things. I mean the blueprints give you the floorplans, shouldn't be that hard!
Old December 31st, 2002, 09:24 AM   #59
cardinalbiggles

Quote:
Originally posted by BRUTUS
By the way, I've always wanted to see someone flesh out these conjectural parts of the Enterprise-D. Looking deep inside the main shuttlebay... I mean the blueprints give you the floorplans, shouldn't be that hard!
Seriously... if I weren't so damned broke right now, I'd gladly pony up the dinero for Sean to do an Ent-D main shuttlebay!
Old December 31st, 2002, 09:28 AM   #60
Sho

He might have to do my shuttle bay soon enough.

There are plans for several other sets, you know.