Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old March 4th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #1
Alex

Default Onter the Teratoma - several images

Every now and then I'll do this crazy posting thing. It's crossposted to my journal and I can't ever post images on here, so instead you get links. When you see "click me!" you do that and you get a fresh burst of artwork.

It's a project that people keep coming up to me and asking about, and although it usually gets referred to as "That thing about the tumour that you did", it is entitled Onter after an imaginary friend I had when I was little.

The brief we were given was to create a story that summed up a proverb or saying. I chose the term "two-faced" from the list we were given. I'd been thinking for a little while about a kind of tumour called a teratoma. If you don't know what it is, click here and I'll go on to explain that some become rather human. Some have skin and hair, some have teeth, some have blood, pulses and muscles, reactions, reflexes, and some even have voices. I didn't make any of that up, it's true, if you do enough research you'll see for yourselves.

So enter Orville.
Click me

Orville is agoraphobic and obsessed with his own appearance in a rather sick way. He's morbidly obese, the cause of his agoraphobia, and he feeds that insecurity by posing in front of the mirror each day. It's a ritual for him, he inspects himself in a variety of different poses. One day he notices a bump.

The reason I had it form on his belly was because that was the center of his insecurity. I don't think a teratoma would normally form there. As it grows, he becomes more interested in it than himself; he's found a friend that doesn't have to be human. The only problem is that his "friend" is killing him. It gains more and more human attributes, and now jumping a little further into the surreal, primitive emotions too. Specifically, the tumour(named Onter) and Orville become attached to one another. Orville nurses it, and feels better about himself all the time, despite his constant weakness and impending death that he turns a blind eye to.

Click me

On certain pages of the story(these are only select frames that I made for the final presentation), I wanted Onter's development to be documented independant of the evidence of a host or environment. I wanted to show it as a creature in it's own right as well as a parasite.

Click me

Above is an image from a relatively early stage in the full life of Onter. I tried to make it baby-like; immobile, helpless, even the blue background something fairly infantile(although that aspect of it may have been lost a bit in scanning). Below is a much later stage in development, where it becomes more dominant and powerful, and I decided to make it dinosaur-like, and try to do the name "monster cancer" justice:

Click me

Eventually, Onter becomes capable of sustaining itself, and takes the opportunity in Orville's sleep to detach itself.

Click me

Although Orville dies, before he does so he comes to understand that Onter is concerned with consuming him and doesn't care for him in the same way that he cares for it; with this I'm trying to sum up the term "two-faced"- a person who'll take you over and ruin you but make you feel good in your ignorance at the same time, but get a bit of distance and with that you'll gain perspective.

Ink's something I'm still getting used to, and although the work was kind of shoddy I still felt pleased with it. I was happy with the way the colours came out and the look of the tumour more than anything else, and overall it was a pretty successful project.

Disgusted?
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #2
Sess

Actually, all the time I was looking at that, I was thinking of fried porridge.

(you know, like when porridge goes hard the next day, you can fry it... yup, pretty disgusting)
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #3
Alex

Hehehe
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #4
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Powerful story. Your narrative complimented the images beautifully.
Will this be a series? Seems like you could different types of "onters" reflecting different personality types.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Chris B
The Artist Formerly Known as XmESs
Quote me!

i love them. simple as that.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #6
seanr
ÜberBrückenMeister

That is bizarre! In a good way, mind you, but still bizarre.

Excellent artwork!
seanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:40 PM   #7
Alex

Quote:
Will this be a series?
I shouldn't think so. It was only a three-week project, hopefully I can come up with something a bit better with more time Which hopefully thanks to this project I'll get on the illustration course next year.

Quote:
i love them. simple as that.
Many many thanks

Quote:
That is bizarre! In a good way, mind you, but still bizarre.
I later discovered there was some truth to it, though- some, not a lot; a woman developed a teratoma on her prostate and after it started whining she called it "Honeybun" and talked to it.
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #8
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Prostate? Do women have Prostates?
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #9
Alex

Sorry, you're absolutely right- go here.
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #10
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

A very odd but interesting idea.
General Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #11
Alex

It's what got me into the illustration degree I'll be starting next year