Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old February 20th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #1
Dennis

Default "Venture" class starship - orthographic views

Full Size Image

Full Size Image
Old February 20th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #2
Melvin the Dork
Bad Email Address

Very cool, very cool. Great work on a great looking ship Dennis.
Mel
Melvin the Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #3
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Sweet
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 01:42 PM   #4
darkwing_duck1a

WAY COOL Dennis!

Questions:

1. Are those four bumps on the dorsal and ventral saucer phaser turrets?

2. Is she a movie era "new build",a later refit of old Connies (movie) or some sort of TNG upgrade?

3. What is her armament? I count 2 forward firing torp tubes and eight "phaser turrets". Am I missing anything?

4. How does she fit in with your other similar ships (Phoenix and Carolina)? Are they in one design lineage or seperate "spin offs" of the Classic Trek Connie?
Old February 21st, 2003, 04:49 PM   #5
Dennis

Let's see...

Yeah, the bumps are phasers. Two turrets to an emplacement on the saucer, plus four turrets on the bottom of the engineering hull and two above the hangar bay -- pretty much same as the TMP refit. Just the two forward-firing torpedo bays.

You already know how careless I am about how my ships fit into the "canon" Trek universe, so...I'd say this is a movie-era "new build", a modern vessel designed to similar specs and along the same mission requirements of the Constitution but different from the keel up. Probably designed about the time the Constitutions were being refit, with the notion that these could be the replacement vessels for that class -- the saucer hull is similar in contour to that of the Excelsior class, so there you go.

I don't know where the Carolina fits -- at this point it's a test-bed for me to practice a lot of modeling techniques. The Phoenix is to the original Constitution more or less as this one is to the refit Constitution (I mean the NCC-800 Phoenix, not the NX-1800. I may yet go back and rebuild the old 1800).

I've just always been fonder of the ships of TOS and TMP than of the 24th century ones -- I like the size, for one thing, and the kind of detailing used in the TOS-based movies. These are among the reasons I'm so thrilled by the NX-01 on "Enterprise"; any new TOS-era ship is welcome where I'm concerned. Gotta love those nacelles Drexler put on that baby, and the glow-y lower sensor dome.
Old February 21st, 2003, 05:45 PM   #6
Proximo

I'll say this for her, she's really starting to grow on me now.