Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old April 8th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #1
mercutiojb

Default Dawnstar Warpcore?

Well, just got rhino. Never used it before, but it so easy to use!! I love it already. I was just messing around, but I've always wanted to do something with engineering. The center of the core is sort of a cloverleaf kind of pattern. This isn't really a bit deal, but just wondering what you guys think. Worth continuing? This took about 10-15 mins.

Old April 8th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #2
Bernardo Ratto

Is it worth continuing? Definately. You should go as far as making the room itself. That would be cool. At any rate, keep going.
Old April 9th, 2003, 08:41 AM   #3
Hito
Kokujin no samurai

I like the single column core design of the Ent D better than the multiple column one of the Defiant or Ent E.

It definatly looks worth finishing.
Is this for the Dawnstar build by Dennis or another ship?
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #4
mercutiojb

Ugh, I can't believe I started this, what I NEED to be doing is homework!!
Anyways A little progress. The transparency/color settings aren't right on, because I'll be rendering in MAX, so I'm not too worried about it right now. I'm slowly but surely making progress. Have I already mentioned I love rhino? Don't get me wrong, I know the *theory* behind modelling in MAX, but it never quite seemed to go right for me, even on simple things like this. Rhino has helped a lot.

Yes, this is an idea I had for the Dawnstar, I might pull out my bridge idea as well.

Anyone have any ideas for the plasma conduits? I dont know what kind of pattern/design to do for the tubes, but want them to be at least a little different.

Update: As of 04/09/2003 11:00AM

Uh oh, time for class, and I'm not even dressed!!
Old April 13th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Blip

Default Cool so far...

...Although I too prefer the single column design of the Ent-D.

Do you have any 2D plans or scanned sketches of your ideas? I'd love to see 'em if you've got any you could post - especially for the bridge...

Blip
Old April 13th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #6
mercutiojb

I dont really, I sort of prototype things in 3D to see what works, then build ideas on that. I'll try to work on this tonight.

Do you have any ideas? I'm always looking for new ones
Old April 14th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #7
Blip

Still not quite sure where to place the Dawnstar in any kind of timeframe to be honest, although I'm leaning towards post Ent-D rather than prior to it. It's simply because of all the Ent-C styling used in the design.. I guess the bridge in my mind would turn out something a little like a mix of Voyager and the Ent-E (although drastically overhauled - I can't stand most of that abomination ) I'd definately use subdued lighting like was seen in Generations, though. And a similar mustard-grey color scheme. No wood, though. Or any of those daft brown columns from the 'E' Gagh.

I may plot out a rough Bitmap plan of the wall sections if I get time - I'm supposed to be finishing my dissertation right now!
Old April 14th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #8
Hito
Kokujin no samurai

Dennis dosent usualy design based on timeline anyway.
I'd place it sometime after the Galaxy class tho since it's nacells resemble the fancy shuttle from Insurection.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #9
mercutiojb

Yea, any ideas would be helpful!! Post em! Right now I'm just trying to work out the problems of importing from rhino into max, and the fact that if I do it at the level I want, the core as you see it ends up being about 200,000 polys. Ouch.
Old April 15th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #10
Dennis

Let's call it a post-Galaxy jobbie built on elements of an Ambassador spaceframe. Probably built before the Sovereign.
Old April 15th, 2003, 12:09 PM   #11
mercutiojb

Anyone know how far the registry numbers had gone by the time the Sovereign was built?

IIRC, the first Galaxies were something like NCC-70000, and Voyager was something like 15 years later? That puts it at about 300 NCC's a year. But then again, there was a war and all, so who knows?
Old April 15th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #12
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

WOW. Impressive and looks cool. Just gave me the question, what would happen if a ship had two warp cores? Double the amount of warp core breaches, hehe
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #13
mercutiojb

Hmm... I dunno, I was thinking of putting more than one dilithium access chamber, one for eack 2 'tubes'. By the way, I'm working on the rest of engineering, it'll be up soon.
Old April 16th, 2003, 12:04 AM   #14
Melvin the Dork
Bad Email Address

I like it, like the core its a nice departure from what has already been done. I am, however, a fan of the TNG-D core. All blue, the whole half red half blue doesn't mesh with me. Just odd you know, why would it be two different colors?
Mel
Melvin the Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:23 AM   #15
mercutiojb

Hmm, I guess I was just under the impression that it was blue for the matter stream and red for the antimatter stream

Something like this:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...ngineering.jpg

I actually thought the 'D' was like that too, until I looked at pictures. I swear I've seen it somewhere else also, though.
Old April 16th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #16
Blip

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
Let's call it a post-Galaxy jobbie built on elements of an Ambassador spaceframe. Probably built before the Sovereign.
Certainly looks better than the Sovereign, anyway... especially the nacelles. They're the only good thing to come out of Insurrection if y'ask me!
Old April 16th, 2003, 12:29 PM   #17
mercutiojb

Ever draw those ideas for me blip?
Old April 27th, 2003, 02:59 AM   #18
Melvin the Dork
Bad Email Address

Sorry I am late on a reply to the blue and red core. What I like is the all blue core where the red comes from the side. Like on the D/Galaxy class.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...ngineering.jpg
I don't know if any of the new ships (defiant, Soveriegn whoes cores we have seen) have it liek that. But I like it all blue and the red piped in the sides.
Looking back on your previous post you did mention the D.
I don't know, I just think it looks less Play-set with the uniform color. It seems to reach for attention with both colors. Like Red is cool but so is Blue...Let's use 'em both. But thats just my opinion.

Anyway, did you ever finish that design?
Melvin the Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 06:20 AM   #19
Dennis

Quote:
Originally posted by Blip

Certainly looks better than the Sovereign, anyway... especially the nacelles. They're the only good thing to come out of Insurrection if y'ask me!
Yeah, Eaves' redesign of the basic Galaxy-class nacelles is very cool. It would be interesting to see them retrofit onto a Galaxy -- someone should do a Galaxy redesign that is to the TNG Galaxy as the ST:TMP Enterprise was to the TOS Enterprise.

Love the warp core, BTW -- the engine room of the Enterprise E is one of the few sets that I prefer to the Galaxy.
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #20
Blip

SAD

Quote:
Originally posted by mercutiojb
Ever draw those ideas for me blip?
Sorry man, I've got so much work on right now I can barely even scrape time to look in the forums! As soon as I'm done I'll see if I can get my head onto it... or in it. Meh.

On a completely unrelated note: Those new smileys are way cool!

Old April 29th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #21
Blip

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Yeah, Eaves' redesign of the basic Galaxy-class nacelles is very cool. It would be interesting to see them retrofit onto a Galaxy -- someone should do a Galaxy redesign that is to the TNG Galaxy as the ST:TMP Enterprise was to the TOS Enterprise.

Wow, I had exactly the same thought! But then dropped it, because I realised that apart from a few minor details, I love the E-D just as she is.

I'd like to see the Sovereign redesigned to fit more with the E-D and the Intrepid-class, though...
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:52 PM   #22
mercutiojb

Now that class is over, I should have time to restart this...