Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:23 PM   #1
M Cooney

Default Why does Max have wierd motion blur?

I'm a Lightwave user, but i like max artwork too, but there are a couple things in Max that lend itself to dead givaways in animations.

Max cant seem to motion blur lens flares and certain post glow effects, so when a ship flys by fast, it might be blurred, but the lights or the sun render un blurred sharp and strobed.

Are they fixing this in the next version.

Also, a lot of animations i see, have only certain objects motion blurred or not at all, i don't understand why. I know it can slow render times, but if you do any quick pans in spaceship shots, or move anything faster than a few pixels per frame, and there is no temporal antialaising, it makes even a beautifully rendered and textured model look like a video game rather than a photoreal visual effect shot.
Old May 7th, 2002, 04:30 PM   #2
Proximo

Well that's down the the unusual way you have to set up motion blur in max. You have two choices, Scene blur, and object blur. Used right, you can get a great effect with it, with multiplied bluring on nearby and fast-moving objects. used badly, it's sort of baad...

Same with the video post stuff like lensFX. You have to manually set up the blur, because it isn't calculated automatically, but you can get a superior effect because of all the extra tweaking. Most people just don't make the effort.
Old May 7th, 2002, 08:22 PM   #3
M Cooney

I recently saw a Divx animation called "UNKNOWN into the Unknown" over at sci-fi meshes. rather nicely done, but the lenz efx or the post flares and glows wern't blurred, and there were artifacts that danced and strobed on the screen when a ship flew by. It slightly hurt a very slick ameteur movie.

see the animation if you can anyway.
Old May 11th, 2002, 04:50 PM   #4
Banner

I'm afraid the lens flares could have been a big plus in Max but are in fact quite the opposite. You can't blur them. There are two ways of doing lens flares in Max:

1: VideoPost - here you have a lot of neat features but then again somewhat unflexible.

2: Lens Effects Panel - here you have fewer options yet a few others that VideoPost doesn't have.

3: If you only need round flares you can do them with volumelights (omnis withou shadowcasting, with far attenuation on and inverse decay on - the latter is very pivotal so note that one - and have two of them on top of each other, one of them smaller and maybe more white? 'pending on which colours you want)

There is another solution which I like but costs money And that is to get a hold of Cebas' Pro Optic Suite - you won't regret it and you will be in lens flare heaven. I MEAN IT!