Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old February 10th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Default Hera Updates

Okay, in my 'clean up the disk drive' project I've started to complete long overdue projects. The idea is to get rid of excess max files (which are large) and then do some scenes. Then, of course, archive the mesh so that I have backup and disk space.

With that said - here is the Hera, an older project that I believe is Caudex's design (ex Hullbreach?). You all might remember it. I have started a new process of applying textures too - I seem to do that with every project though !

As you see, this is a tad dark as I was checking for random shadows from texture and detail items that are modeled in and are not supposed to cast shadows, receive shadows or both. The engines are done and I have turned my attention to the saucer section. I'm still trying to figure out the center laterial hull cut-out. This is still an open question first poised by Masao and eludes an answer.

ahhhhhhhhhhh..........

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2003, 05:36 AM   #2
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Hmm, can't say it's my favorite of his designs. I think the top and bottom edges need to be more rounded. Looks too squarish.
The engines are great, but the rest of the ship just seems to be missing something. Perhaps when you re-do that textures it will look better.
The modeling, of course, is well done, especially the bussards.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Masao

I like this ship! I think that excavated band is probably a sensor strip of some kind, but who knows. Those boxes on the side might look good really bulked up to act as weapons pods.
Old February 11th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #4
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

There is a version with weapons in place of the side airlocks(?). Here it is almost done but for that middle strip!!!

Maybe I'll get it done tonight

My Site

My Blog
Old February 12th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #5
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Here is a finished example of the new texture process that I detailed in the open forum to Skyhawk. This shows, pretty well, the way the process I used to texture the Hera. This is mostly masks and specular maps used in blended textures. The blends are a shade of very light grey and then blue grey. The masks allow various shades of the blue grey to show through. This is a heck of a lot easier than drawing out all the textures that get lost in the pic anyway!

This isn't posted anywhere else and is rather large, even at 900 px wide (and is another VistaVision render). The linked image is about 265K.

My Site

My Blog
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:36 AM   #6
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Very nice. I like the blue tones.
What is VistaVision?
Old February 13th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #7
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

VistaVision was a wide-screen projection system introduced in the mid 50's by Paramount to compete with CinemaScope. VistaVision achieved its wider image by running a negative through a camera horizontally at a width of eight 35MM sprocket holes (as opposed to the normal, vertical four). When reduced to normal positive prints the resulting film was extremely clear and vibrant. This process also reduced scratches seen in the film, as they would move from left-to-right as opposed to top-to-bottom. This process was so good that VistaVision quickly became the wide screen process of choice for most cinematographers and a must for top directors.

The VistaVision process gave theater operators the option of projecting a movie in virtually any aspect ratio from 1.33:1 to 2.1:1 (1.66:1 being the most popular). This was very important as wide screen was being introduced at a time when many theaters could not show it due to screen size limitations. This allowed for the film to be played where a competitive wide screen film could not. The main idea was that the core of the film's action was in the vertical and horizontal center. As with real vision, your focus is on what you are viewing with the rest in the peripheral. As popular as this was it was discontinued in the early 60's

It's considered the forerunner of IMAX.

But in MAX, it is a camera lens that allows for wide screen shots with minimal effect on the background while presenting the screen focus to be well positioned. Panavision and other wide-aspect lens choices will stretch or compress the background image (if one is used) creating an odd look. This can be avoided if the background image is composed for such lens choices. However, the stretching can sometimes work to your advantage. My planet backgrounds are basic NASA photos that are in 1.33 or 1.45 aspect. Put these in Panavision and they get 'tugged' horizontally, this makes the planet look more expansive looking and more 'real'. Of course this only works on partial (horizon) views .

So, in the words of Paul Harvey,
Quote:
Now you know the rest of the story.
So, um... did you really read this?

My Site

My Blog
Old February 13th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #8
Hito
Kokujin no samurai

Thank you Mr Harvey

I think if you are willing to deviate a bit from the original design a little, you could incorperate a little of the traditional TOS saucer on the top and bottom like on the stargazer
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #9
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Yes, I actually did read it. Interesting.